Friday, January 29, 2021

Run Rabbit Run!

 I was uncertain if this story was ever going to exist. In fact, I had originally planned on not telling it due to being somewhat sensitive to my hosts out here in Arizona, the First Nations of this land and specifically the Navajo. I had not been planning to write this but I felt at last I must for if hints were to be continued to be dropped, then it was only fair I told the story properly and not just in reminiscence of those who did not witness the whole of what was and is, but only noticed the brush sweeping shut behind my protagonist's flight.

I have mentioned before the importance of yellow rabbits, from the name of a saloon inspired by the insult hurled forth by John S. Mortenson the day the Mortenson Expedition discovered the meadow so inspiring of these Tales, to the brash Hopi chasing the deranged mountain man, Horatio Parsons (did I not ever mention his name?) in "Kachina", Sikyatavo, and the luck I had in his naming. This is the story of the third yellow rabbit, the one to whom that insult, a double entendre I knew now disguised in its calling, was intended. I have mentioned before how the colors we in this culture shared, that of the United States, do not share their meanings throughout time consistent through other cultures. The delight of knowing Sikyatavo meant "yellow rabbit" is the basis of this decision as I sought that name elsewhere. That is how I came to know Łitso Gah.

I do have to say that there is a much greater resource for Navajo words on the internet than there are Hopi. This proved to be a blessing and a half as I worked through this Tale. While not pretending at all to write in a language I do not know, I felt it important certain concepts were expressed in the language which the POV originated. I hoped beyond hope as I wrote this tale, "Beesh Gah Beesh", that my interpretations and usage was correct and appropriate. This is very important to me, so very important.

For some while, a customer would pull up and make his purchases. Over time, I got to know him some. I'm just going to say that this gentleman is a remarkable musician. It was during a discussion with me about my autistic daughter during her earliest years with me and in trying to find a way to calm her down, he offered me a CD of his music. It worked... and it is beautiful! I have not seen him in a couple years now, to my regret, but if I do, I will ask his permission for use of his name and update this post. He always had his pipes with him and it is of him playing as he fueled that our discussions began. For those who have never heard it, traditional Navajo flute playing is beautiful, just beautiful music.

Feeling brave one day, I ventured if he would take a look at this little story of mine. It was some months before I saw him again, typical with his appearances, but when I did, I timidly asked if all within was proper and that there were no offensive errors either in the usage of the Navajo words or in the treatment given to Łitso Gah, the protagonist. To my utter delight, he assured me that the Tale in its telling was not only unoffensive in any way, but that he shared it with his brother and together they agreed the language was not only appropriate, but that they had a list of words I could add to flavor the whole even more. Sadly, I only saw him twice after that and it has been some time since he has pulled through. I hope he is doing well for he is a good man and an amazing musician. His music is excellent for writing to and I wish I could let him know how much so.

"Beesh Gah Beesh" is a point of pride for me. First, the affirmation mentioned above has removed all trepidation I had in telling this Tale. Second, it is a clean little story, somewhat Twilight Zone in its style and even in its simplicity. It's straight forward, direct, and it allows me to tell a Tale whose importance I at last feel is needed, serving better told than just hinted at. I shall not go deep at all here into the story beyond the intense research into the Navajo language I dove. I'm just going to say my respect for my hosts is even higher now than it ever was. Oh, and apparently even my pronunciation of some of these words, unheard by me, is correct... though I suspect I sound like what would be called a "hick".

"Beesh Gah Beesh", my 23rd Tale, written May of 2018, came in at 4,029 words well chosen. This story allowed me as well to portray a small scattering of the soon-to-be Sultans from a perspective from outside that select group. It as well allowed me to revisit Hototo and Sikyatavo, at least in passing. Also, if you're looking for the name of this valley, this is where you might get closest to knowing what and why. You will have the chance upcoming to find out what is and why in an upcoming issue of Weirdbook magazine. Just go ahead and get a subscription to this anthology series 'cause there will be a few Tales of the Bááhádzid appearing there upcoming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mercurial Moments Sonnet Construction

I know I am speaking here a little ahead of myself but I must. For one, I am still running behind with catching time for directly tackling t...