Friday, February 12, 2021

Resolutions Renewed

 Thus ended 2018 with 17 Tales added to the growing collection that was my obsession. The whole of this project at this point was 35 stories written with two of that number being Sonnets Redoubles. Added to this number were the two chapters which I had set out for what I call the "Circle of Midnight Black". The year just finished taught me a few things, chief amongst them the value of setting limits. I speak here of the decision to cap the Tales at 5,000 words. This forced me to condense my thinking and thus writing, forego a tendency to be excessively wordy and to learn a length comfort. I was absolutely successful in all these endeavors. Yes, "Tears in Green Satin" exceeded that limit as did "Butterflies and Moonbeams" by three words after an edit, but considering my output, a level which stunned and challenged me, one real exception to that rule in 17 stories isn't bad.

I had developed over that year a rhythm in the telling of these stories. As one story would be drawing to a close, I would try to start listening to the whispers around me. If one found compelling interest, I would begin to listen as I neared my final words on the work ending. That way I would be able to launch right in without pause or doubt. At other times, I would find my inquiries ignored with no true voice rising to interest. Then I would turn to my notebook and begin thumbing through those ideas that I've been able to capture in notes and lists of titles to remind. By keeping a constant purpose, I was also not only able to meet but exceed my goal. As well, at this point, I had now a few acceptances and in my hands, a couple of books with my name in them.

Thus I made a declaration anew, the same as before out loud though I privately set my goal at 18 since I knew I could do 17. I also kept to the idea of focusing on a specific word range. I had by this point begun developing different story arcs within the whole of the collection, the intersections between the different arcs at times non-existent. I was getting confident and, with those copies in hand, starting to feel like a real writer. My goal remained the same though... find a creative outlet in my quiet little world so I don't go mad and sit in front of banal programing. For me, that creative outlet I have discovered to be the primary key to my mental health. When I have no such outlet, when I let the world overwhelm to where I am not listening to the needs within, then I grow depressed and I stagnate. Thus the importance of these Tales, the need to have this means of release and the re-dedication of purpose declared at the introduction of the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mercurial Moments Sonnet Construction

I know I am speaking here a little ahead of myself but I must. For one, I am still running behind with catching time for directly tackling t...