Friday, March 5, 2021

Butterflies of Blackened Wing

 Finished November 25, 2019 at 1,734 words, "Butterflies of Blackened Wing" is a bit of an oddity. It is not a long story nor is it anything other than a sweet little moment under an Arizona evening sky, but being it is so brief, to discuss it much might run the fear of eclipsing the story itself. As well, I need to take advantage of this brevity to catch up for the joys of that other world, the one where I stand in a box and tell fart jokes for 8 hours on end, has had odd shifts in hours due to the joys of co-workers scheduled surgeries. It's been hard to find these keys, both for this blog and for finishing what I know is happening in what it is I am working on when I am not working on this blog.

So, here we go...

"Butterflies of Blackened Wing", like "Tell Me About the Butterfly Man" is directly inspired by "Butterflies and Moonbeams". Being that "Butterflies and Moonbeams" spans a lifetime, it left quite a bit of clues as to where and when and why our beloved hero, Franklin Stenoyer Jr., the Butterfly Man, has been and done. These two other stories are the first of what I expect is a potentially endless flow. This is a good character and I'm glad to have made his acquaintance in the manner I have. With the seeds that primary Tale has left, moments mentioned, such as these, can fill a book... or at least that's a thought that Frankie has been trying to push.

Why I state that this story is an oddity is at the time, I had only touched under 2k words once before with "Trane's 'a Rolan'". I was extremely uncomfortable working at that length and kept poking at this after I finished like it was supposed to jump up and change or something since there was nothing left to be written in it. It did not feel comfortable for quite some time, at least until I put some actual focus into what I guess is called flash fiction nearly a year later.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mercurial Moments Sonnet Construction

I know I am speaking here a little ahead of myself but I must. For one, I am still running behind with catching time for directly tackling t...