Sunday, March 7, 2021

In An Alley

 When I sat down to write this Tale, "In An Alley", there were certain things which I knew going in. This was, in truth, a story that had been long planned only I knew not how I was going to approach this. That it was to be though has been hinted at since the earliest days of these writings. Allow me to explain.

In "In A Meadow", the tale taken direct in style to Ryunosuke Akutagawa's beautiful classic "In A Grove", the interview with the Deputy as he relates his capture of Leopold Tarkenfeld, suggests that Leo is an unprovable suspect the death of a prostitute behind Devitt's General Store at some point prior unspecified.

In "Mercy Holds No Measure", Samuel Delrosa is accosted drunk in an alley one night after coming to town to buy supplies and blow off some steam. Sam, drunk as he is, beats the living crap out of a small, rat-faced man and his giant of a side-kick, leaving them in the mud of the alley.

On Christmas Eve, 1871, there were 6 deaths within the town of Baird's Holler and I only knew as of yet who three of them were; Buck Jackson in the depths of Line B, Lionel Williams in a pool of blood on a barroom floor, and some unknown woman caught up in the high branches of a cottonwood tree.

This is what I had to work with. Now I had begun the need for this story many times and I have notes no longer needed referencing elements of what takes place here but no concise POV or even structure ever brought forth. All I had were scattered thoughts. That POV for example, I had always figured it this story would be told through Leo's eyes. That it was Dickie Donnelly who stepped up to tell it was a bit of a surprise. In fact, I'm just going to go ahead and say this. Every thing about Dickie and his appearance in this story was a surprise to me. He was Leo's big, dumb bodyguard, his stooge, his muscle. I honestly did not see what was coming.

Now, being that I've pretty much zeroed in on a dead prostitute behind Devitt's store and I know the night, I needed to set things up. Here is where I learned a little about Leo that I didn't know and that is he's a softy, at least for Sally. She on the other hand, well, she doesn't even want him as a paying customer anymore because, well, he wants to marry her and she's disgusted by his creepy little ass. How's that for some conflict? Get this bit out in a noisy bar with a piano player who sucks so bad Dickie wishes someone would shoot the bastard. Have Sally snub Leo and go hang on the arm of the first guy she sees... and a target for Leo's vengeance. Dickie, by the way, is not pleased at all as this night flowing with money as the Mortenson Men all spend their bonus pay, is being wasted chasing Leo's desire and not that money. There's the set-up.

Now, the primary action of this place does take place in an alley and it is to that alley we go. The altercation mentioned in "Mercy Holds No Measure" was up next as Sam was the man Sally snubbed Leo for. It's to be an ambush, as that Tale mentioned states, but it is lying in wait that the only true moment outre that exists in this story appears. "In An Alley" is, with this exception, pretty much a straight crime story... I think that's what it would be... but there, as they wait for Sam, a teamster staggers by, drunk and muttering angrily about his hat. Knowing this is not their target but a target anyways, they consider their assault but the growl behind them from a raggedy, yellow, king-sized bulldog stays them.

That night, Christmas Eve, 1871, has built into it certain qualities which extend beyond their immediate story and reach out into the night air of Baird's Holler. In "Shanga-ree", there is heard as Mr. Lee steps from Curt's Saloon on the upper, west end of Main Street, a rattle of gunfire down east toward Baron's. As well, there is that bulldog howling. The dog builds through the night but the gunfire takes place at midnight, just as Shanga-ree has claimed his prize. These elements exist and thus, at that appointed hour in "In An Alley" when this cacophony erupted, they are recognized here as well as a feminine scream of horror and pain coming from up high near where the Methodist and Baptist churches were being raised. These stories do not appear in their own little worlds.

This is all, but to declare the date of completion and the words consumed. That total was 4,988 with a stamp of December 25, 2019. Yup, was busy writing a story about Christmas Eve on Christmas Eve (and all through the night... my wee one was at her mother's for the holiday). The other thing I want to say is to reiterate my surprise at Dickie and the range he has. Sadly, I happen to know something and though no words have been attributed here beyond speculative notes hinted in a possible title, but like Leo, even though Dickie is a hell of a character with lots of potential, he has an expiration date well before the end of Baird's Holler. This isn't something that Leo's gonna like and it's going to be one of his major issues going forward, but that's the way it's gotta be. I just really need to get that damn dentist to put down the cards and get in that stage. June 3, 1880, is going to be a grand old night!

Lastly, "In An Alley" completed the Tales written for the year 2019. In total, I had 22 completed works, a rather high bar which I set for myself. The resolution I made in public was again for a dozen to be written in 2020. In private, I set myself some far-flung fantasies and set off into rumors that something in the world wasn't right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mercurial Moments Sonnet Construction

I know I am speaking here a little ahead of myself but I must. For one, I am still running behind with catching time for directly tackling t...